Monday, June 10, 2013

Prayer at Al Anon Meetings

I was writing an entry about Tradition 4 (Each Group should be autonomous, except in matters affecting another group or Al Anon or AA as a whole.) and I got off track because I realize that the example I was using was not the best one. I'm talking about how some Al Anon groups use The Lord's Prayer as part of the meeting.

I dislike when Al Anon groups close with The Lord's Prayer. I have nothing against it and I say it in church all of the time. However, I don't want to say it at an Al Anon meeting because I think it imposes the idea of one Higher Power on all members. This goes against the Al Anon belief that we need to define our own Higher Power for ourselves. In fact, an Al Anon meeting I attend to regularly was the only one I  knew where members recited The Lord's Prayer. At that particular meeting we had a number of members who had bad experiences with Christian religions and simply did not participate as it was said. At first I recited it along
(Photo by Korry_B of stock.xchng.)
with everyone else but as I watched these members I also began to abstain from reciting the prayer in solidarity with them. As I began to learn more about defining a Higher Power, I absolutely felt that what this group was doing was a violation of Al Anon principals. I was happy when the group voted to abolish this practice, as eventually over half our the members were not saying this prayer!

So, you can imagine how I felt last fall when I went to an Al Anon workshop in a rural area where, at the end, a member sternly called out, "Who's father?" which was their cue to begin, "Our Father..." I was offended by this and I did not participate in that recitation of The Lord's Prayer. I also didn't say anything to members of that group because I was only visiting and it was in an area much different than where I lived. For people there, it was comfortable to assume that God was their Higher Power because the area was predominately white and Christian. If their members ever became offended, I knew it was their problem to work out amongst themselves and they didn't need my interference. I could just go back home to my regular groups where we didn't recite The Lord's Prayer at the end.

 I truly believe that it violates the Al Anon principals to incorporate a specific religion into the meetings. But, it is really ingrained in some 12 step meetings and I've found that some are passionate about keeping it. I am passionate, too, but how important is it that I get upset about what a group that I never go to is doing? I just abstain when it comes up but I'm proud that the group I attend chose to think more carefully about this issue.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm a few years too late, but I'll comment. I just left a meeting that didn't recite the Lord's Prayer. I was taken aback, but your thoughts give me a reason to think about this. A purist's view might say that the original foundation and tradition of AA and AlAnon was to recite the Lord's Prayer. But each group's autonomy allows it to choose. I find comfort in a familiar prayer that connects us, even non-Christians, because of the tradition. Al-Anon has been a journey to a closer relationship with God for me, and the Lord's Prayer is part of that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I just went to my first alanon meeting and was uncomfortable with a welcoming comment of 'keep coming you'll find God will help you find serenity'. I stated I'm not even sure I believe in God anymore. A woman seated next to me tapped me asking if I would be staying 'for The Lords Prayer'.
    Inappropriate, in my opinion to end with a group hug saying the Christian Lords Prayer, what if I were jewish, muslim, atheist etc.
    Not sure if I'll go back. Sign me , still searching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I just went to my first alanon meeting and was uncomfortable with a welcoming comment of 'keep coming you'll find God will help you find serenity'. I stated I'm not even sure I believe in God anymore. A woman seated next to me tapped me asking if I would be staying 'for The Lords Prayer'.
    Inappropriate, in my opinion to end with a group hug saying the Christian Lords Prayer, what if I were jewish, muslim, atheist etc.
    Not sure if I'll go back. Sign me , still searching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand there is a history to the use of the "Lord's Prayer" however I am not Christian, did not grow up in a Christian household and have always felt uncomfortable in meetings that use this prayer. Fortunately I live in an area where I have the choice of many different meetings so I don't attend meetings where the Lord's Prayer is part of the program.
    I would hope that the WSO will look at this and in understanding that the world is full of many people who can benefit from Al-Anon who are of different religious experience, or of no religious experience and remove reference to this prayer from the Service Manual

    ReplyDelete