Friday, September 7, 2012

This too shall pass

I've had a rough week, but I've also had some amazing experiences with the week 4 Yoga Journal meditation. I don't feel ready to write about that now, but I wanted to share something that has held me up over the years -- music.

I've been a U2 fan since I was about 13 or 14. I listened to their music without really thinking of the meaning behind it. After I came to Al-Anon, I suddenly became aware of the spiritual messages in their music. I truly believe this is one of the ways my Higher Power reaches me. Sometimes I will have an instinct to put on a certain album, and suddenly the lyrics of a specific song will really jump out at me and seem to really apply to my current situation.

One song that is special to me is Stuck in a Moment from All That You Can't Leave Behind. I know that there is an "official" meaning for this song, but to me this song helps me to realize that bad times aren't permanent and, like the Al-Anon slogan says, "This too shall pass".  I even use the song as a form of meditation. I like to sit quietly and listen carefully to the lyrics because I find them reassuring, especially the ending line:


“...and if your way should falter,
along that stony pass
it’s just a moment,
this time will pass.”

I like the original video, but I also like the simplicity of this live performance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment