Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fall Workshop Topic #1: Fear

Now that I've had a couple of weeks to think about it, I'm going to write about the topics I explored during our district's 2012 Fall Workshop. One of the reasons that I put this off is that I don’t want to write about fear. Fear is a big issue for me and many of my character defects are rooted in it. Of course, I didn’t want to go to this session of the workshop, but it is a big issue I am working on right now and so I went. Here are a few things that I learned.

(Photo by Joana Croft.)
The first speaker said that fear of abandonment leads to control, but I realized that fear in general leads to control. I could see that in myself easily. The first speaker also read the July 6th page from Hope For Today. This reading discusses putting fear into perspective and having faith in a Higher Power. I need to work the steps first and foremost to keep myself in line when it comes to fear. I also need to relinquish control and trust that I will have confidence in myself to handle situations as they arise. I also have the power to remove myself from any unhealthy situation.

A second speaker discussed being afraid of the alcoholic. They clarified that we may be afraid of the disease of alcoholism, and not the person themselves. This certainly rings true with me. My boyfriend is very gentle and kind. He raised 3 kids, takes care of his elderly mom and loves animals. For me, he is the right combination of gentleness and masculinity. But, at times I was afraid of his for no reason. I later realized that I was anticipating a reaction typical of alcoholics and I would expect this from him before anything. I have since learned to see him as a person and not as a disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment