Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fall Workshop Topic #3: Accepting Serenity


I used to be one of those people who could never relax especially when times were pleasant. I’ve worked hard on this while I’ve been in Al-Anon, but it is still a struggle. So, I went to the Accepting Serenity session at our district’s 2012 Fall workshop. Here are some of the things I was thinking about that day.

(Photo by Calvin Dexter.)
Part of serenity is being self aware but realizing that things are not all about me. I can make better choices instead of jumping to respond to a crisis, or what I think is a crisis. I have to learn how to relax and not spend all my time “waiting for the other shoe to drop”. People say “The longest 18 inches is from your head to your heart” and so that is a reminder to think more rationally. I have to think, “What way do I actually want to spend my time?” Chances are, it is not worrying, fretting and obsessing.

As for our dealing s with others, we have to accept that people are on the path that their Higher Power set for them. If I feel that a person is toxic I do not have to be around them in an intimate way, I can detach. I can still not like what someone is doing but still not have it effect me. 

Serenity is not the absence of problems. Being present and in the moment leads to serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment