Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Keeping the focus on ourselves

I posted this in an online Al Anon group and wanted to post it here as well. More details about how I personally handled the issue I allude to will be in my entry "Step 12 and a friend".

(Photo by Harry Fodor.)
I have heard that the only way you are too late for an Al Anon meeting is when you arrive after the closing. Sure enough, one day I went to a meeting that I don't go to very often and mixed up the time. Though I only heard the last few minutes, the last speaker talked about Al Anon's Tradition 10 (The Al-Anon Family Groups have no opinion on outside issues; hence our name ought never be drawn into public controversy.) She mentioned that she applied that to herself- when she felt she wanted to jump into other people's business she thought, "I have no opinions on issues outside of my own." I loved this- I now consider it my favorite way to keep the focus on myself.

One of the big issues I had when I first came to Al Anon was "advising" other people all of the time. Now that I try to stay quiet when I want to give advice, life is much easier. The other day at work a coworker mentioned a personal issue that I felt strongly about. I was glad that I didn't say anything because another coworker jumped in and began questioning her all about it. It became very embarrassing for me to hear. I know that the second coworker was only trying to help, but it just made it worse--this was exactly the kind of thing I used to do in the past. I'm glad I didn't get into the "controversy" because I now know it would only have made it worse for both me and  the person with the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment