Thursday, August 30, 2012

I miss you...but stay away

Well, I've had a busy week. For the first part of it I was grumpy and out of sorts but now that seemed to have calmed down and I can sort it out a bit.

I think I was grouchy primarily because I work in a college and orientation was last week. I promised to do that months ago and couldn't wiggle out of it, but then Boyfriend said he had a turn at the family beach house and if I didn't take it with him we wouldn't be able to go back until mid-October, Of all weekends, after having so much free time this summer... (In our office we spend the summer swapping recipes and talking to the occasional grad student. During the school year it is the complete opposite--no time to breathe.) He tried to pressure me but I put my foot down. I had to even work on the weekend and couldn't even do an overnight. Thankfully, he rounded up his son and best friend and they had Man Weekend. I was glad to have him out of my hair.

(Photo by Maja Pi.)
I felt bad, but I gently encouraged him to stay away and not come back early on account of me. Even though I was busy at work I wanted what little time I had alone. It seemed that I went through a lot with him earlier in the month and then spent the last few weeks figuring it out and trying to separate from him a little bit. Not separate as in break up, but more like reaching a new level of detachment and  I wanted to work on that  a bit.

When he came back I could have seen him that evening but brushed him off. I just didn't want to rush back into his arms after having the weekend to myself. Normally, during orientation he makes a big deal about not being able to see me and then pressures me to give him all of my free time, which isn't much. I just wanted to avoid that this year.

Though, we did talk on the phone and he came to pick me up from work yesterday so it worked out. Tonight we have a date and on Saturday we are driving out of state for a family birthday party. I don't want to get back on the roller coaster of giving him all of my free time so I told him that if we were going on this road trip I didn't want to see him on Friday (my first day off since early last week) and he seemed OK with that.

2 comments:

  1. A long, long time ago I worked in retail pretty much full-time. There was a Thanksgiving where I had to work the day before Thanksgiving until close, and then I had to come in extra early for Black Friday. I was on my feet all day at that job and of course Black Friday was crazy as hell. I told my family ahead of time and I kept to it- I spent the Thanksgiving holiday home alone with my feet up watching the parade and whatever else on tv. I didn't eat turkey that year. I think I had a peanut butter sandwich. My family might not have liked my choice but it was choice to make and I think I was a better employee on Friday because of it.

    Good for you for holding your ground.

    Now I work on a university campus and I just made the opposite choice. I took a vacation just before the semester started because my daughter needed me. Coming back to campus as the semester is starting has meant that I have a lot less time to get ready for those students and professors who depend on me, but I am doing it. I am accepting the added stress because I know my family needed me, and I CAN do the job. It's just harder this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete