Monday, September 5, 2011

The Artist's Way - Week 1 check in

After complaining about The Artist's Way so much here I am going through it again. I do recognize it has its uses.

Daily morning pages: yes, every day, but rarely first thing in the morning. I guess it was OK. I did a lot of thinking that I sometimes distilled in this blog, which helps me after my internal rant that freewriting seldom turns into anything.

(photo by Gianni Testore)
Did I do my artist's date this week? Well, I was going to say no until this morning. When I was looking at The Artist's Way again last week I realized that was one of the hardest things about it, is that I never look at art anymore, or even anything visually interesting. I WORK in an art school and I pass by art every day. I sometimes get so burned out on the art scene that I just ignore it all. I just need to get out of the bubble that is my work place and learn to enjoy art again, even if it is only looking.

This morning, since it is Labor Day my gym had special classes and I went to one for Relaxation Yoga.  Well, not exactly visual art, but it was great for the senses and very calming. We did a 30 minute meditation at the end and the teacher handed out eye pillows, blankets and neck pillows. She gave us a lavender sachet to keep at the end. So, I thought I would make some of these pretty little things for myself to encourage a meditation practice at home. One of my delights about doing something different is that I always find something to make in relation to it, though it is usually not art but something that is useful.

Issues: yes, well...in doing my check-in I noticed the difference this time around. When I first did The Artist's Way some years ago it was about gaining self confidence and laying old demons. Now, my issues seem to be about art as work and not play. It is my job, what I do when I write for content mills, what I do when I get roped into doing that stupid craft fair that I used to do every year. Art to me now is all about making stuff for a purpose-- to get paid but then I get paid very little in relation to other things that art seems to be a chore that nothing will come of. It is sort of a black hole of writing articles about plants and crafting with yarn and velvet and making little things that I think people will impulse buy.

So, there. I guess my mission is to rediscover fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment