Monday, September 26, 2011

*Sigh* -- Service in Al Anon

It has been a busy week but not necessarily one of growth. I only made one Al Anon meeting this week and afterward my good feelings were undone by a difficult group conscious meeting. Let's just say people were acting like family -- the dysfunctional ones we all came from. As this was my home group full of people I really admire I was pretty upset afterward. In fact, I was so upset that I had to call my sponsor for solace and found that she was also pretty disturbed and so we talked for an hour trying to settle down and cheer each other up.

(photo by Svilen Milev)
I do love this group but I have to admit it is not as healthy as it could be. The person that was the most vocal during the meeting has been in a service position longer than I've been in Al Anon. No one talks about rotating him out, but instead talks about how much he gives to the group. I think somewhere in Al Anon literature it talks about how people should not hold on to these positions as it activates the controlling aspects of their personality.

I used to go to a small group that ended up with only myself and another member coming on a regular basis. I felt weird being the one to open the place and run the meeting each week as the second person couldn't commit. It wasn't my meeting but a meeting for all. So, the few of us left decided to close the group, with me being the most vocal about it. So people few step up for service that it leads to one person controlling the group, unfortunately. I did so much service for that group that after that I only volunteered for functions like luncheons and other activities not related to meetings.

Another group I know did a Al Anon group inventory. I was glad they did as I felt it was another good group falling apart but the inventory got things back in check. Ha - maybe suggesting that and possibly getting that going might be a good way to do service for my home group.

No comments:

Post a Comment