Wednesday, July 25, 2012

28 Days of Meditation – Week 2, Part 1


I’m still plugging along with Meditation Revolution, (Yoga Journal’s latest email workshop). I took a break because I was away over the weekend and picked it up when I came back, but I wanted to write about some things I thought about before I left.

I discovered the meditation went better when I did it in the morning, as part of my usual routine of looking at and dealing with the day’s email. This helped me to not procrastinate and kept me on track better. Plus, I love getting little lessons or other perks in my email. I am always signing up for some sort of email-a-day program that prompts me to take some little action, because you know I wouldn’t do it on my own.

This week the meditations focus on mantras (this one uses Hamsa, if you’re curious). I find that helpful, because even if the word doesn’t mean anything to me it gives me something to focus my thinking on, instead of letting them run away.

(Photo by Jin Neoh.)
A couple of things I realize that I need to work on are setting an intention and assessing how I feel at the end. I’ve had intention come up in yoga meditation before and it leaves me absolutely puzzled. So far, I just try to think of something extremely simple, such as being calm or relaxing, both of which I have trouble with.

After the meditation is over the woman on the recording says to enjoy “the aftertaste of meditation”. I’m still thinking of what that may be for me, other than being glad it is over. I have trouble assessing myself after I finish, as the speaker asks the listener to do.  I know that suppressing my feelings is from a lifetime of living with alcoholics, but it is something I have to spotlight and continue to work on.

During the first week I skipped two days but this time I just saved the emails and am continuing where I left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment