Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Benefit of all Beings

Week 2 of the 28 days of meditation (which is actually called Meditation Revolution) seems to be going better. I now do it in the morning as I get it in my email. Since I am just waking up I am still in a quiet phase.

(Photo by ldesign of stock.xchng.)
I never paid much attention to the notes in the daily emails because it seemed like tips I had heard before. Today I did read the Day 9 email and it mentioned how meditation mainly benefits us after it is over. In the week 2 recording the woman mentions using your practice "for the benefit of all beings" several times. At the end she invites the listener to offer your meditation for someone else.

I found that thinking briefly about someone in this way can be a way to focus on someone I need to improve my relationship with and extend some love and gratitude for having them in my life. It can be a way to work Al-Anon's Step 10, which is to review your recent actions and think of how to correct any problems.

Speaking of gratitude, an old favorite yoga DVD of mine asks the viewer at the end to touch your folded hands to your forehead and offer thanks for your yoga practice. I like that idea and have added it to the end of every yoga practice I do. It is a brief time for me to get in touch with my Higher Power and express a little gratitude instead of focusing on my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment