Monday, July 16, 2012

28 Days of Meditation -- Week One

Al Anon's Step 11-- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

OK, so I didn't think I was working on Step 11 but it sort of snuck up on me. As I mentioned before, I started Yoga Journal's 28 days of meditation email series (Is that what you call these things?) and I just completed week one , so here is what I went through.

(photo bytung072 of stock.xchng.)


Most of the meditation I do normally is through yoga. I came to yoga about 4 or 5 months after I began Al-Anon and it has helped me tremendously because it seems that the ideas in both are similar. That is a whole 'nother post, but I could never sit still before I came to Al Anon. Starting with the physical activity of yoga and having a short meditation as part of the routine was the only way to calm my mind in the beginning. This spring I felt I was ready for more and I bought a meditation CD, but never really used it much. So, I signed up for the Yoga Journal thing and forgot about it until it started and I began getting the emails.

The first night was good, but the next night I didn't want to do it, even though I did. This is also where my resistance comes in. I could never really grasp the part about breathing in yoga and this is also important for meditation, and of course the first week in 28 Days is a breath meditation. On day 3 I decided that I was "bored" and also skipped day 4. I did pick it up again on day 5 and I made myself do it though, and I felt a bit more settled by day 7. Some days I did my regular yoga practice before beginning and other days I just started. That seemed to make no difference.

I liked some of the imagery in the week one breath meditation, such as imagining yourself inhaling and exhaling little particles of light. I remembered a previous meditation from somewhere else where I was asked to imagine inhaling light and exhaling toxic things. I did that at first for this one but then I didn't like the idea of myself filled with black toxic gas and went on with inhaling and exhaling little particles of blue and white light. That image has been useful to me over the week, as I tend to be a very visual person who finds blue and white very soothing.

What did I learn from week one? My yoga meditation is all about settling my body and mind. The key word here is settle. It took me  a few years of yoga just to do that and going deeper is a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment